January and February are cold and frigid months for most of us in the northern hemisphere. Dressing warmly is essential and keeping warm is even more important. Although there are a myriad of activities available for you and your families to participate in, sometimes the cold is too tough to deal with.Of course, we recommend curling up beside a fireplace with your favorite pair of Nuknuuk sheepskin slippers while sipping on some hot cocoa and reading your favorite book or watching your favorite TV show. However, sometimes relaxing is best accompanied by a warm dish.
When you’re feeling cold, treat yourself to a hearty meal that will warm the soul. Consider trying our 5-Spice Chili recipe. If you’re partial to spices, you will truly appreciate the heat in this dish.
5-Spice Chili Recipe
Prepare & Cook Time: 4 hours
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 (46 fluid ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (29 ounce)can pasta sauce
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup canned corn
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 cups canned mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Place ground beef in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble, and set aside.
- Add all ingredients to a large kettle. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally.